Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

The Brothers KaramazovThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ivan: "Do you understand why this infamy must be and is permitted? Without it, I am told, man could not have existed on earth, for he could not have known good and evil. Why should he know that diabolical good and evil when it costs so much? Why, the whole world of knowledge is not worth that child's prayer to 'dear, kind God" (page 266)

"I understand nothing," Ivan went on, as though in delirium. "I don't want to understand anything now. I want to stick to the fact. I made up my mind long ago not to understand. If I try to understand anything, I shall be false to the fact, and I have determined to stick to the fact." (page 268)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment