Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2018

Review: The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

... the way love feels is always only approximate.
(297)

But Offred's voice speaks clearly, and this is what it says: History will catch up with us, it isn't dead any more than we are, it lives in and upon us, parasitically, like the bacteria in our intestines, without which we would die. If you want to see the future, keep looking steadily behind you, because the future, no matter how much we may pretend we don't know it, is history.
(xviii)

The minimalist life. Pleasure is an egg. Blessings that can be counted, on the fingers of one hand. But possibly this is how I am expected to react. If I have an egg, what more can I want?
(126-7)

A man is just a woman's strategy for making other women.
(138)

Poor, poor men... (G.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment